Saturday, July 31, 2010

Driving the Loire Valley


My drive to Paris was to take 3–4 hours, but I wanted to stop along the way, so I started out early. Once I got past the miles of stone fences surrounding the chateau in the area, I stopped in a little village that had a promising looking boulangerie where I picked up the cheese and baguette that would be my lunch. I knew there would be some place nice up the road where I would stop and enjoy it. No wine today though…driving into Paris required a clear head.

First order of business was to find an ATM since I was running low on cash. I drove through several villages keeping an eye out for a bank but wasn’t having much luck. I silently asked for help. Within 5 minutes, I came upon the small city of Blois.

The main road was a fair sized two-lane, but the side streets were very narrow and I hesitated to turn into what was the heart of the town. All of a sudden the urge to “turn” struck me. I turned without being able to see much of the street since there were trees in the way and, as I did, the street literally widened in front of me into a broad two lane main street with parking, stores and a beautiful staircase at the end of the street. I barely drove ½ block when I spotted an ATM AND a parking place!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This “letting it happen” stuff was getting to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment