Saturday, July 31, 2010

Deja vu along the Loire

I had my cash along with a beautiful palmier (crusty, crunchy pastry) which I picked up at the bakery next to the bank. It would be a fitting dessert for my lunch. Now it was time to find a place to eat.

As I left Blois, I drove along the banks of the Loire River, enjoying the scenery and looking for a park where I could picnic. Nothing was summoning me so I just kept driving. I passed a little sign that caught my eye…..it said Cour s/Loire, which I took to be the name of a town. But I was looking for green open spaces where I could eat…not another town or village to drive through.

By the time I was a mile past the sign, I knew I had to go back. A strong image of the sign kept popping into my head. So I turned around, found the sign and drove down a neat, unpaved road.I found myself in a small austere village. Almost all buildings were behind stone walls or very dense trees and shrubbery. The only building I could recognize was the church and, since old churches always seem to call me, I figured I was meant to visit this one. I got my camera and went to explore. Oddly, the church was locked. The area was deserted, a bit on the dark side and a little spooky.

There wasn't much opportunity for photos...the buildings were mostly gray, unadorned and flat walls of stone. The church showed some promise, but the front of it faced the side of another building. I couldn't get far enough away to get a good shot. I was annoyed! AND, by now, quite hungry. I thought briefly about eating in the car, but decided to hold out and find someplace cheerier.

There was a path between the buildings that was quite narrow, dark and curved. I couldn't see what was at the other end, but there was bright light shining there. That heightened my curiosity so, even though by now I just wanted food, I walked down between the buildings. I figured I'd take a quick look, then head out to find my park so I could eat and commune with nature.

As I started around the curve, I felt like I was being guided to another world. The path widened a little.....then a lot. The somewhat dark, drab village was left behind as the flowers and river came into view. When I saw what was waiting for me at the end of the path, I laughed out loud. An empty park bench in the sun on the banks of the Loire River beckoned! I was sure it had been reserved just for me!

Eating lunch there was almost spiritual for me.....I had the very strong sense that I'd been there before. It's not that anything looked particularly familiar, but I was SO comfortable in that place. I felt, deep inside, that I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment