Friday, July 30, 2010

"THE DRIVE"

I had decided to spend 4 or 5 days driving to Paris so I could stop and see more of the country. Since I stayed for the Fetes de Bayonne, that left me with 3 days to make the trip. I had driven in France several times already so it didn't seem to be a daunting task, however, in each case, I had a companion. Making the trip solo was a little intimidating, but I soon got over it...once I threw the map in the back seat! France uses route numbers on its maps, but doesn't label those roads/highways so much. I was told repeatedly to just follow the road signs to the next biggest town I was aiming for...it worked!
I have to put in a good word for my Dad here too. While my mother taught me the basics of how to maneuver the car, it was my Dad who taught me how to drive and, boy, did it come in handy on this trip! Much to my annoyance and thought that my Dad was being "ridiculous", I was:

--- taught to drive a stick shift (most reasonably priced rental cars in Europe are stick)
--- taught to navigate traffic circles in my sleep (France doesn't use stop signs at intersections...just traffic circles or roundabouts)
--- taught to drive in New York City (Paris has nothing on Manhatten!)

Anyway, I DID get off the Peripherique (circle route around Paris) at the wrong exit (should have used my glasses when checking the name on the Michelin directions) which caused a slight delay. I found myself going more into the center of Paris and realized I had goofed!

I turned around to what SEEMED like a good direction and just relaxed and asked my guardian angels/spirit guides for help and...VOILA! I looked up and saw the Hertz sign!

The trip was meant to be uneventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment