Tuesday, July 27, 2010

SALE in BAYONNE!!!

Wow! What an event! Bayonne has a street sale twice a year where vendors put up tents, haul out their merchandise and sell, sell, sell! My hotel room overlooks the street and I was awakened by the commotion outside. When I looked out, I couldn't believe what I saw...a continuous line of tents on both sides of the street! People were milling about, music was coming from somewhere down the street...and it was only 9 o'clock!

I ventured out into the street after breakfast and checked out what they had for sale.

It was quite different from similar sales in the U.S. There was much more in the way of women's clothing and accessories...and generally NICE stuff! There weren't that many jewelry vendors...not as many as I'd see in the States. I saw beautiful, unique umbrellas, made in France I was told, and lots of shoes. My daughter and granddaughter are really "into" shoes and would have loved the selection!

The vendors were all very friendly, even after they found I speak very little French.
Some of them waved me away saying "no photograph...no photograph", but most were gregarious enough to let me make their picture!

It was interesting to watch shoppers trying on clothing, haggling over price (even though in French, I got the message). The children were very cute too...either with big smiles when they got what they wanted...or pouts and tears when they didn't. Some things are the same all over.

I'm glad I braved the crowds and took in this event. I had no idea how much fun it would be until I got out there with so many French shoppers and experienced it for myself. I even picked up a few treasures along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment